Miss K's Literacy Page

Writing is a key component in any educational program. Through this blog, I hope to portray different authors of picture books that use Six Traits in Writing as well as provide great literacy websites for educators to use!

Search This Blog


A child's mind is constantly soaking up information, like a tree basking in the radiant sun.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Sentence Fluency

When I think of sentence fluency, I think of the flow of the writing piece, like poetry for example. In most forms of poetry, you can envision what the writer is talking about in your mind. The words in the poem sway back and forth. The rhythm of the words make a melody in my mind. Sentence Fluency should include great word choice. When teaching children about sentence fluency, keep these questions in mind...
  1. Did I use sentences?
  2. Did I use different beginnings to my sentences instead of using "tired words"?
  3. Did I use different lengths of sentences in my writing...some long sentences as well as some short sentences?
  4. Does my writing sound smooth?
Evidence of great sentence fluency would include presenting clear images to the reader and the sentences are pleasant to the ears as well as to the eyes.

Here is a book I have looked at that I perceive as being great examples of sentence fluency:


Hello, Harvest Moon by Ralph Fletcher. Houghton Mifflin, 2003.
"In this lyrical offering, the harvest moon rises on a quiet neighborhood and bathes the silent streets in brilliant lunar light. It illuminates corn and wheat fields, inspires luna moths to perform ballet in the crisp air, and casts a silver shadow on the red and orange autumn trees."

Minilesson: Write about your favorite piece of nature.
  1. Introduce the story. Have the students close their eyes as you read the story to them. Tell them to listen to what you are reading. Have them imagine the picture you are painting with the words you are reading.
  2. Read the story.
  3. After you have read the story, ask them to tell you about the images they created in their mind as you were reading to them. To help them get started, read the first page to them again. Then ask what they thought about. Write down their responses.
  4. After going through this lesson, talk to the students about what great writer's do-they give us words to spark our imagination.
  5. Now, have the students brainstorm their favorite place...without telling anyone, have them write about it (free write). Repeat the process of revisions until the piece sings with details. For the younger grades, have the students draw a picture to help build their understanding of details and fluency.
Ohio Academic Content Standard for Kindergarten: Writing Applications
4. Dictate or write informal writing for various purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment


About Me

My photo
Kettering, OH, United States
H! My name is Angela Kessel and I am a Kindergarten Teacher from Kettering Ohio. I am currently taking a Master's class in Writing K-12.